The ReConnect START Campaign is about connecting people, and the most important connection that can be made is to connect a person to Jesus Christ. Many church members feel unsure of themselves when it comes to sharing their faith. Often the thought is to leave evangelism to the professionals. The result of this faulty logic is that very few Christians are sharing their faith in the workplace, school, ball field, or neighborhood. Compounding this issue is the impression of many lay people that a person has to be a member of some kind of elite evangelism team in order to share the Gospel.
Soulwinning Commitment Day (October 5) is designed to involve every church member in evangelism by starting with the simplest evangelistic methods. Three specific strategies begin on this day:
1) Church members are given an Evangelistic Prayer commitment card (available from the BGCO). This card simply asks each church member to identify and pray for three lost friends during the month of October. I encourage pastors to ask their church members to bring their cards to the altar during the worship service invitation as a sign of their commitment.
2) Each adult and student small group or Sunday School teaches a simple, practical Gospel presentation for Bible study on this day. This Bible study is available from the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma.
3) Each group begins a month-long process of having some type of evangelistic activity in every small group meeting during October:
1st Week – Small group learns a simple Gospel presentation.
2nd Week – A group member is pre-enlisted to share his or her testimony of coming to faith in Christ (faith story) during the small group.
3rd Week – An “Invite Card” (available from the BGCO) is distributed to group members to give to their lost or unchurched friends or other people they may meet that invites them to Sunday School on November 2.
4th Week – Group members have identified three lost friends that they are praying for evangelistically. On this Sunday, the group prays for these lost friends to come to Christ and attend next week’s group meeting (Connection Day). Plans are also made to have a brunch or snacks and ready next week’s group meeting for their lost friends to attend.
It is important to understand the involvement of the entire church in the soulwinning process.
- It is very likely that many, if not most church members will pray for three lost friends in the following four weeks;
- Every member attends a group meeting on October 5 will learn a simple Gospel presentation;
- Using the four evangelistic practices during the month of October will engage all of the church’s groups in evangelism preparation;
- Invitation cards make it a little easier for the average member to invite a friend to church on November 2. (See also the email invite that you can put on your church website that your members can use to invite their friends to church.)
Steps to develop a soulwinner in a legacy church:
- Pray for lost friends and neighbors
- Invite lost friends to church and small group
- Learn to share faith story
- Learn a Gospel presentation
- Mentoring through organized church outreach
- Lead people to Christ
When coupled with the 10 week outreach burst, it is easy to see that in a time span of just 10 weeks a person that is somewhat timid about evangelism can accomplish significant steps to becoming a soulwinner.
Want to participate in the ReConnect Sunday School movement? Join here.