I recently received a brochure from a well known company that produces Sunday School teacher training. Very good stuff. As I perused it, I recognized the people involved and even know a couple of them personally. I'm sure the training they are providing is excellent.
Here is an overview of what the brochure offers:
- Training in five age groupings (preschool, children, student, adult and young adult)
- Two 30 minute video sessions in each age group (10 sessions total)
- A participant book
- A leader guide
- Promo items
- A vinyl album
- Cost: about $500.00 depending on your order
Glancing through this piece, I realized that our own state convention just put together something similar for our churches as part of our new One Day Initiative. In fact, on May 1 we equipped about 200 consultants in One Day.
Here is an overview of the One Day Initiative:
- Training in 5 age groups (preschool, children, student, adult, and general leaders)
- Five 60 minute training sessions in each age group (25 sessions total)
- A small group training session (that's 26 sessions now)
- Conference plans
- Listening guides
- PowerPoint presentations (for most sessions)
- PLUS three 30 minute videos by Ed Stetzer on the topics of: Missional Small Communities; Missional Leadership; and Reaching and Keeping Young Adults
- Listening guides for all three of Ed's videos
- PLUS – LifeWay has graciously allowed us to include their new Connect3 training in each of our age group sessions
- Four Worship/Inspiration videos (available July 1)
- Four 60 second informational videos to use during your worship announcements (available July 1)
- Promo posters
- All training sessions downloadable now
- COST: $$-FREE-$$
The sessions for the One Day Initiative were written by pastors, housewives, Sunday School teachers, lay people, and education and student ministers. People who are leading their churches and groups to be missional disciples in their neighborhoods.
In addition, One Day has a follow-up plan. During September and October, we are inviting every class or group in every church that participates in One Day to have a mission project in their local community. We want to put action to the training your church receives by participating in the One Day Initiative.
As part of One Day, the local church owns the training. You probably can not teach your people all 26 sessions in one evening, so pick 1 or 2 sessions from each age group that best fit your situation. One Day is decentralized and customizable. Plus, 2009 is the first year of a three year emphasis, so by the end of the third year your church will have almost 100 different sessions to choose from so that you can highly customize the equipping of your leaders to your context. Next year we are adding training for smaller attendance churches and Hispanic churches.
You can download all of the training sessions right now for free at www.bgco.org/oneday. If you have a really slow internet connection, let us know and we will ship you a CD with all of the training sessions.
How are we able to provide this resource for free? Through the Cooperative Program. The Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma is using some of the Cooperative Program contributions from its member churches to help local churches equip their people to have evangelistic, missional disciples. By partnering together, we all benefit!