There is a huge difference between a strategist and an administrator. A strategist sees what needs to be done and then develops and executes a plan to get it done. An administrator oversees the status quo.
Just a reminder: Life is not status quo… It is always changing.
When it comes to the stewardship of the leadership of your small group, are you functioning as a strategist or an administrator? Here are a few thoughts to help you examine your leadership:
- Do you have a plan, and I mean a plan for your small group? Can you share it in less that 30 seconds?
- When you think about your group, are you too focused on mundane things that really don’t matter?
- How often do you think “what if”? “What if our…?”
- Can you share your church’s small group or Sunday School vision in one sentence?
- Does your group have “checklist” spirituality? (In other words, I did this, this, and this… therefore I must be spiritual!)
As a small group or Sunday School leader, you have a great opportunity to help people along in their spiritual journey with God. Be strategic and make the most of your opportunity.
Action Item: Memorize Philippians 1:6. God hasn’t given up on you.. don’t give up on Him! God has a plan for you and for every member of your group. No matter how discouraged you might be right now with your group or with yourself, our God is a God of breakthrough moments; and yours is right around the corner.