This coming Friday (September 28) marks 40 days before we have our national elections on November 6. There is a movement among God’s people and His churches that this coming election is one of the most important – if not the most important election – in our lifetimes. So starting this Friday, I am joining Christian brothers and sisters all over America in 40 Days of Prayer for our nation. The 40 days prayer guide that the church I am serving and I am using is written by my friend Greg Frizzell: Forty Days of Seeking God: For Revival, Elections, and Key Leaders. I want to encourage you to use this book or something similar and join God’s people around our nation in prayer for our country.
There are several reasons why I am participating in the 40 days of prayer emphasis.
- Dr. Frizzell’s book focuses on the believer’s responsibility to not only pray for God to intervene in our nation, but also for God to intervene in my life and also the lives of the church. The church-house needs to be right with God before we demand a revival in the state-house.
- No matter what your party affiliation may be, there is no doubt that the deficits that our government is spending is wrong from a biblical perspective. We are spending the money that our grandchildren will earn 30-40 years from now on today’s programs. The Bible has a lot to say about money and finances, and the direction that our economy is moving does not line up with Scriptural teaching.
- Our nation is in moral and spiritual decline. From the movies that are produced in Hollywood to the rockstar celebrities whose music is full of ungodly lyrics and who are invited to the White House to sing, our country is obviously becoming morally bankrupt.
- Roughly two million unborn children are aborted every year in America. This country has aborted 50 million of our babies since Roe v. Wade. It was promised then and is still “intended” today by our politicians for abortion to be rare. 5,500 abortions per day is not “rare”, it is commonplace! Our leaders routinely look the other way or use patronizing slogans to excuse this modern day holocaust.
- It is biblical to pray for your government.
- “First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.” 1 Timothy 2:1.
- “But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.” Jeremiah 29:7.
- “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14
I could probably come up with dozens of other reasons why I am participating in the Forty Days of Prayer emphasis taking place in our nation this year. But I want to encourage you to join hundreds of thousands, and perhaps even millions of your fellow brothers and sisters in Christ to pray for our nation for the next forty days. I want to especially encourage your small group or Sunday School class to take some time at each group meeting leading up to the election and pray for our nation.
Greg Frizzell’s book Forty Days of Seeking God are available for a very low cost. If you would prefer a free e-book, you can download one here. Order one for yourself, several for your family, or involve your entire small group and pray together for God to send a spiritual awakening through our land… and through His church!