I have a great view of Oklahoma City from my office window. A great view that extends from the capital building to the new Devon Tower in downtown. From my office window, I have a viewing area of where about half, or 500,000 of the one million residents of the OKC metro live and work.
How can we reach these people with the Gospel?
Consider your own town, city, neighborhood, village or rural community. What is the most effective way to reach the people that live and work around you with the Gospel of Jesus Christ?
My personal opinion is this: start new groups. For every new group your church starts, you are going to reach about 10 new people. I believe that new groups are the most effective way to share the Gospel and bring unreached people into biblical community.
- New groups grow faster than existing groups
- New groups are more evangelistic
- New groups are less expensive – a lot less expensive
- New groups involve more church members in leadership
- New groups involve more believers in extending grace to their community by inviting and bringing them to the new group
- New groups are easier for people to belong to
- New groups are lead by lay people
I could keep going, but I think you get the point.
As your church dreams up its evangelism strategy and develops the church budget and calendar, make starting some new Sunday School groups as a priority of the church’s evangelism strategy.
Reaching the people in your community with Gospel one person at a time may take a while. Trying to reach your community with big events is expensive. Programs to evangelize your community by the 1,000’s are generally not very practical.
We’ve tried everything else… Let’s try “10 people at a time” and start new groups.