I was recently on a mission trip in an undisclosed location with 5 other people when we began discussing Lottie Moon. One of the people on the trip with us had recently been in conversation with a group of young adults from his church about Lottie, and… not one person knew who she was!
The Lottie Moon Christmas Offering (LMCO)for international missions is more than just a fundraiser for IMB. It is a lifeline between local churches and missionaries all over the world. Below are 10 ideas to help the people in your group understand the value of this offering and also help your group give sacrificially to international missions.
1. Have a group discussion about Lottie and her work. Here is a link to the IMB site that has info on Lottie.
2. At your group’s Christmas fellowship or meeting, collect an offering just for the LMCO. Announce it in advance so that participants will bring cash or checks with them.
3. Have a box in your classroom for Lottie donations. Either have one of your handy woodworkers make a box, or just decorate a shoebox. Draw attention to the box at every group meeting during the month of December.
4. Skip a meal and donate the money to Lottie. Did you know that Lottie Moon actually died of starvation? Food was scarce in China during the last days of her ministry their. Lottie took the food that she had and distributed it to people who were starving.
5. Mother/Daughter Fellowship. Lottie Moon had a famous recipe for tea cakes (Get it here). Lottie used the cakes so that children in her community would come by her house for a snack and give her a chance to meet them and lead them to Christ. Have a group fellowship for the ladies and invite the daughters. Enjoy some of Lottie’s famous tea cakes and donate the admission/ticket receipts to LMCO.
6. Convert your Christmas class gift exchange (white elephant) into a gift for the LMCO. Each person that brings a gift includes a $5 bill. As the gifts are opened and exchanged, put the $5 included with the gift in a box to be given to the LMCO.
7. Family time. As part of your family’s devotional time in December, tell the story of Lottie Moon and her ministry to your family. Ask each family member to donate part of their allowance, etc. to the LMCO.
8. Adopt an Unreached/Unengaged People Group as a class. There are 6,426 unreached people groups. Of these groups, 3800 of them are classified as unengaged.. meaning that they have no way to hear the Gospel. Adopt one of these groups as a class and pray for them for one year. For more information or to request an unreached people group, go to www.bgco.org/6426project.
9. Fund a Missionary(s) for a Day. It costs $128/day to have a missionary on the field through the IMB. Challenge families or individuals in your group to fund a missionary for a day by donating $128 to the LMCO. In fact, here is a further breakdown for a missionary salary at IMB.
• $46,700 a year (average)
• $3,890 a month
• $900 a week
• $128 a day
• $5.30 an hour
• $.09 a minute
10. Raise the Average. The average Baptist gives a whopping $8.35 a year to LMCO. You’re better than that! Let’s raise the average gift per Baptist this year by challenging your group to give to Lottie Moon.
Share some ideas that your group has done to increase awareness of the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering for international missions in the comment section.