My friend (and former professor) Dr. Chuck Lawless has been tweeting ideas about how to give to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering for International Missions. This offering is a vital part of our Southern Baptist mission to bring the Gospel to every corner of the earth. I often find people who want to know how much they should give. My glib response is, “all you can”. Dr. Lawless is much more creative than I am. Listed below are his 10 giving suggestions:
1. Give to God’s mission the equivalent of $$ spent for Christmas presents. Spend on what matters.
2. Give 25¢, 50¢, 75¢, or $1.00 per unreached people group (@ 6,426 groups). Billions need to hear.
3. Give the amount needed to cover one week’s costs to send a missionary — @ $845.00. They sacrifice much for the Great Commission.
4. Give Lottie Moon Christmas gifts in honor of someone you love. Most of us need little else; the world needs the gospel.
5. Give $25, $50, $100 for every year you’ve been a Christian. You’ll still never match what God gave for us.
6. Let the Word motivate you to give. We really have no other option. (Listen to Thanksgiving Without Giving Is Only A Word from 11/21/2010)
7. Give in honor of the one who shared Christ with you. Give because you have been one of the privileged ones to hear.
8. Remember your largest gift given to ANY need — then add 10% to that amount. Give more to LM than ever.
9. Give 10% of your church’s Lottie Moon Christmas Offering goal. If 9 others join you, you’ve met the goal. If more than 9 join you, PTL!!
10.Give 1 penny 4 every new believer baptized thru IMB work last year (@500,000). The return will be worth it.
You can give to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering through your local church.